Leeds Beckett University
As a major employer embedded in the local economy Leeds Beckett University pledges its full commitment and support to the Leeds Growth Strategy. We will seek to be an active and collaborative partner with organisations in our City Region to help make a positive and decisive difference to local people, communities and organisations. We therefore would like to make 5 core commitments:
1. We will help put young people at the heart of the growth strategy by guaranteeing a place at Leeds Beckett University to any student studying at School or College in the Leeds City Region who meets our admissions requirements. We will provide dedicated support to Schools and Colleges in Leeds to help their students overcome barriers to applying for a place in our University.
2. We will work in partnership with employers and the City Council to retain more of our talented graduates by creating a graduate employment bureau which will help them find the jobs they want and help local employers meet their emerging skills needs.
3. We will work in partnership to develop an Innovation District to boost innovation throughout the economy by supporting start-ups and scale-ups, commercialising knowledge, providing business support, and graduate employment. We will contribute £100m in capital developments to help develop the district.
4. We will be a firm and committed partner to the Leeds bid to become European capital of Culture in 2023, through corporate sponsorship, production of cultural capital, and a £75m investment in a dedicated cultural and creative hub.
5. We will boost the “Leeds £”, and secure better outcomes for the Leeds economy in terms of jobs, skills and supply chains, by increasing the % of our purchasing spend made with organisations in the Leeds City region and advertising all of our job vacancies extensively to local people.